Heart of Peoria Catholic Community Congregational benefits include allowing the church to reaffirm its role in ministering to the whole person--body, mind, and spirit, enhancing the ability of the church to respond to the health needs of the congregation, thereby impacting the wellness of the faith community.
Responsibilities of a Faith Community Nurse may include:
- Answering questions about a diagnosis, medical treatment, medication, or procedure
- Coordinating a treatment plan given by a doctor
- Checking blood pressure
- Visiting homes, hospitals, or convalescent facilities as needed to check on the health status of members, or for bereavement
- Accompanying a member to their doctors appointment to be a "second set of ears"
- Staying with a member during surgery if family is not available
- Helping a member prepare for his/her next doctors appointment
- Providing referrals to community agencies
Praying with members
Who is a Faith Community Nurse?
The Heart of Peoria Catholic Community is blessed to have Peggy Jacques, MS,RN,RN-BC who is recognized by the American Nurses Association, a Faith Community Nurse is a spiritually mature, professional registered nurse, called and committed to the healing ministry of the the church. Completing a basic preparation course lays the necessary foundation for successful health ministry.
The OSF Care-A-Van is a mobile medical vehicle that brings free health care to the under served areas of Peoria. Some services include:
- Blood pressure screening
- Blood sugar checks
- Help getting insurance
- Getting established with a doctor
- Nutrition and exercise counseling
- Scheduling doctor appointments
- Answers to medical questions
- Prayer support
For the site visit schedule click here: OSF Care-A-Van